FIESTARI 2012 - their first!


Yeps, you guessed it right.

I have been super busy. Term 3 is always a mad rush because there are the mock exams, prelims, oral exams on top of all other school activities and everyday lesson preparations and markings.

I have been trying to fight the impending flu because I just could not afford to miss lessons.

But I finally succumbed to the flu bug :( . The continuous sneezing, coughing and feeling feverish are enough to make me unable to go to work. Oh well....so might as well blog, right?

Last Saturday, the girls took part in FIESTARI - a Malay dance competition organised by Cheng San CC. When I was still teaching in my previous school, we did enter the same competition twice and both times reaffirmed my view that standard of competition is very high. The current group is relatively new and we are not really a Malay dance group (more like ethnic fusion) but I thought the girls could do with more exposure.

It is always good to learn from others who are better than us, isn't it?

So there went the whole of Saturday! I really salute the girls for having so much energy - they had to attend Sports Carnival as early as 7:30 am , rushed to school to make up etc and finally down to competition venue for stage blocking and any last minute preparations. We only reached school again at 11pm! It is amazing how youths do not seem to feel tired. It is either the adrenaline rush or the food they eat! haha....

Some photos while waiting for their turn..








I managed to watch some of the other schools' performances and I was really impressed by NTU and East Spring Sec. However, almost every group that performed was good that I was just hoping and praying the girls would not falter.

We did not bring any supporters (with the sports carnival on the same day, I was sure the rest would be dead tired!) so it was quite cute that there were cheers for the girls during and after their performance. Looks like the audience was entertained!

The following photos were taken by one of the instructors on that day , Rizal. The official photos will only be out next week.















Nanyang Polytechnic took the championship (they were perfect in almost every aspect), followed by Republic Polytechnic and finally, East Spring Secondary School. I wished NTU had been in top 3... I really like their item :)

We didn't win anything but it was really a good experience for the girls to see how fantastic others were. 

Overall, I think the event was very well-organised , unlike the 'typical' Malay events/activities I have attended before.. hehe... My only issue is that I strongly feel there should be separate categories for secondary schools and tertiary institutions. Having more years of experience in the dance arena has a huge impact on profiency of skills and level of stage presence and confidence.

Otherwise, good job, organisers!


0 comments: