CUSTOMISED WARDROBE PART 2 - UP WITH THE NEW AND SUPER LOVING IT!



From my previous post on my customised wardrobe, someone asked if I was going to have a walk-in wardrobe. As much as I wanted to say 'yes', sadly the answer is 'no' - we do not have a spare room for that and I would not settle for a teeny-weeny walk-in wardrobe just for the sake for having one.

The person actually replied,"Then it is a customised cupboard, lah. Not wardrobe!"

Oh please.... To put it simply, a cupboard refers to any kind of storage unit and you can have it in your kitchen , living room , storeroom etc to store whatever kinds of knick-knacks. A wardrobe is exclusively a place to store your clothes. It comes from the French word 'armoire', which means a free standing closet used for storing clothes. Now there are variations to the type of wardrobe one can have , for example, walk-in , built-in and customised.

Thus, wardrobe is basically a subset of the bigger group 'cupboard'.  TSK.

Anyway, it took them a week to get the wardrobe ready and finally, it was time to put it up in the room.

The dense me did not realise it would take more than a few hours to put everything together ... I thought it would take them an hour max. Thank god I did not arrange for anything else that day. It was pretty exciting, I tell you, to see  every little progress of our little wardrobe.

So have you guessed the colours?


Let the work begin!


I was basically stuck in the living room doing my own thang...and kept peeping every few minutes. Haha... that defines anxiety.

It was really pretty exciting to watch the workers bringing in the different parts... I saw everything from scratch. From the clear glass doors to the white shelves to the bright colours, god, I just wished they would finish in ten minutes or so! Haha.... if only there were magic to replace all those screwing and knocking!

Finally , after what seemed like ages , our lil wardrobe was ready!


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


TA DAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I love the coloured sliding glass doors - so glad we decided on those. 
The single-standing cupboard was kind of like an afterthought. 

Do you like the colours?

I love them - so bright and cheerful! Our built-in wardrobe and furniture in the master bedroom lean more towards dark wood and bronze-gold finish so I wanted colours for this room.  A little unconventional and may not go well with some people but that's alright. My home , my wardrobe. Haha.


I always like to take my photos from a slight angle - don't ask me why! Anyway, a friend commented the colours make it look like a children's playroom. That's good actually... plan for the future :) 


This may sound weird but it was a rather enriching journey, planning our new space. We had wanted to just buy a common wardrobe off the shelves but that would mean we would have to make do with whatever interior that comes with it, rather than catering to our needs. Although it wasn't much, proper planning was essential to ensure that space is maximised to its potential.

I decided that I wanted more shelves (of different sizes) to make space for all the curtains, bedsheets etc etc, and less of the clothes rail.








Yellow hangers from Daiso!

'Heavy duty' things go to the bottom of the wardrobe - curtains and bedsheets.

Soon, it filled up.... I am quite a sucker for bedsheets ..must remind myself to stop buying!

Since we have too many baju kurungs , all are folded and go to the shelves. That includes my dresses. Only the ones in more delicate fabrics are hung. Somehow, I feel that saves space! 

Soft Closing Mechanism for the sliding doors - We did not ask for it but we got it! No more irritating sounds when closing the doors.

You would have noticed the opened orange shelves on the left. I initially wanted them on the right  but after studying our room space and beams, our contractor suggested them to be on the left instead. Eventually, they turned out more than fine and since the shelves do not have any door, it is good to hide them a little.






I had to give to away at least a hundred shawls and scarves. There were just too many and as long as I do not get rid of some, I won't be able to buy more , even with the new space.

Initial count was 258 but I am only left with these for now ...





It is definitely easier to have access to my shelves without the doors, especially when I am in a rush to grab my shawls. After a few days though, I got a little irritated. Since the shelves are tucked away in a corner and blocked by the separate shelving (go back and see photo if you have no idea what I am talking about :P) , it was too dark for me to locate the shawls I want or to see if the colours match my clothes. 

As always, my dad came to the rescue! He bought me LED lights that can just be stuck onto the walls of the shelves to give me the amount of light I need.

$8.50 each from any shops selling electronic goods. 


Problem solved!


No more squinting in the dark! 


And yes, I promised my bags that they would have a new home and would no longer have to squeeze and fight for space. Promise carried out! 

Still  a little messy... will sort it out when I have a bit more time. Whenever that is :) 
I realised that when I can see all my bags, I tend to try to use all of them as often as possible. Otherwise, I always stick to my usual ones. 



Needless to say, we are satisfied with what we get for a very reasonable price. 

A friend of mine engaged Mr David Seah from MU Designs to do up her Duxton apartment and recommended him to us. What makes it all very personal is that unlike the bigger companies which outsource most of their jobs, MU Designs does all the carpentry on their own. Mr Seah would also personally come to view your place before giving a quotation, keep you updated of the progress of your project (no matter how small) and finally comes down to monitor the installation itself. 

If you have any home projects in mind, do consider this very friendly man. You can hop over to the website http://edleuro.com/ or contact him directly at 96693287. 

Ok , bye! I need to to do the laundry! 




0 comments: