When students say the darnest things...

As much as students can be irritating and stubborn at times, there are occasions that remind me what a joy it is, to be able to have much interaction and communication with these youths.

Form class 4C 2006

I guess, one of the main reasons why I am still in this profession despite the stressful workload and unreasonable demands of the job, is the students. I like the fact that I can talk to them , hang out with them, chat with them after school, joke around but yet, the line is never crossed.

I am not a fierce teacher (except when the situations really require it, eg: getting monstrous students / horrible class) but firm enough to gain respect, shut them up totally when I am mad and getting assignments done. Not an easy task but hey , I lasted eight years and am still enjoying it :)


Math Class 3C and 4C '07

Students have a LOT on the minds, except studies. LOL. Recently , I had two students from different classes coming up to me to ask about something similar, separately.

They knew what they were going to say was going to be rather personal so before starting, both had apologised beforehand .

And guess what they asked / said?

They were actually advising me to consider having children. Both had assumed - and beats me how both thought the same way - that I do not want to have kids of my own. That my husband and I just prefer to be with ourselves and not have children. So one was discussing all the benefits of having children while the other even went into the religious aspects - telling me the religious and after-life benefits if I decide to have kids.

I don't know to laugh or to scold . Hahahaha.....  (laugh, I did!)

Of all things, they have that in their minds! I wonder when I ever gave them the impression that I do not like kids. I love kids! And it is rather cute that they assume I do not know the values / advantages of having my own children. Hallo....Who is 16 and who is 28 here ? ( ok , that is not my real age... but you get the drift....)...  :P

 I still cannot believe that I stood there , listening to their sermons. Honestly, I wanted to laugh but I kept a straight face. It is not often that a student is brave enough to go up to a teacher and give advice!

And at the current moment, one class is keeping tab of how many different shoes and bangles/bracelets I have. Tsk Tsk .

It's ok , I guess, as long as they get my assigned work done! :)

I have always said that I want to retire from teaching in 2013. That's not exactly a joke because teaching in Singapore is really a load and I cannot see myself surviving more than 10 years.

But these youths keep me going ....

We shall see what happens then when 213 comes....

For now, I shall just concentrate on giving my best , endure and press on , and enjoy the nonsense my students can come up with !


Ending off with the most favourite students of mine .....


With them since 2005 and still keeping in touch...

The BEST class ANY teacher can ever ask for ! 4E2 2009. I know I will not meet another like them.

0 comments: